Tuesday, November 17, 2009

The Ten Days of Thanksgiving

We have twelve days of Christmas, right? Why not ten days or so of Thanksgiving? I'm going to spend the next ten days posting things for which I am thankful. Of course, ten days or one-hundred days wouldn't be enough to do all my blessings justice, but just spending the time writing for awhile might make me ever more mindful of all that makes my life worth living.

Day Number One:

Today I am thankful for modern technology, and most specifically the things that help keep us connected with those we love. Isn't it remarkable that we can dial some numbers and in seconds we can be speaking with a family member who lives thousands of miles away? Or send a text and you can get an instant reply from halfway around the world. Friends can give road updates, husbands can get instructions from wives so they'll get the shopping done right, wives can find out from husbands what to do when the car is making that funny noise again. Daughters can call mom and ask for a prayer before a dreaded test, sons can call parents to tell the latest cute things their little boys did. All of this can take place in a moment of time. Granddaughters can call and put on a piano recital for Grandma. To me it is truly incredible.

One of my most recent experiences with modern technology occurred Saturday. Katy wanted to give Cindy a baby shower. Cindy lives in Virginia and Katy lives in Utah. Katy's brilliant idea was to do a "virtual" shower so that the friends and family could gather at her place and by web cam they could invite Cindy to join the party. Tom and I headed for Utah so I could be part of the shower, too, but the highway was icy and scary so we turned around and headed home, first stopping at Les Schwab to get studded tires for my car. We got home and connected to the internet on the computer so that we could join the party from Nevada. Alan connected so he could have a video chat with us, and while he was on he told us how we could have a conference video chat so that we wouldn't have to "take turns" talking to Cindy and the others. So once we were all connected through "tokbox.com" we could see everyone in New York, Virginia, and Utah,all at the same time, and what a thrill that was for me. I got to see twelve of my grandchildren and all but one of my children. Actually, I know Michael was there at Katy's but I didn't see him, so I saw four out of the six. I did hear his voice, though.

While I am on the phone talking to my kids or having a video chat with any of them I forget that we are hundreds or thousands of miles apart, and feel that we are in the same room and I can almost feel them breathing and that I can reach out and hug each of them.

We went to visit our friends Chris and Andrea Sunday night and they were having a video chat with Andrea's parents and brothers in Alaska. I bet Andrea would say she's very grateful for this technology, too, and I am certain her mom is thankful she can see her only grandson and not feel quite so far away.

Whoever invented all of this technology is going to get a pie from me one day! I love him!

I'd add photos but there's something wrong with the technology tonight and I can't make comments on anyone else's blogs nor can I upload photos to mine. So whoever said it was perfect? These are the moments when we can be thankful for all the times that it does work!

2 comments:

Sandi said...

Edna,

What a wonderful idea. There are so many things that we can be thankful for. I am looking forward to seeing your posts. I must admit I was never one for cell phones, but have since changed my mind because I have this wonderful friend that I love to text.

Edna said...

I have a wonderful texting friend, too! :)