Wednesday, November 18, 2009

The Second Day of Thanksgiving

Music, music, music! Oh, how my life has been blessed by music! I am so thankful that my mother taught me to play the piano when I was a child. The experiences I have had in my life because I played the piano have been extensive and awesome. I know people I wouldn't have known otherwise. I have had to overcome a great lack of confidence, I have learned theory, I have developed skills that have given me opportunities to give service most of my fifty-plus years.

And my parents also taught all of our family to sing, to play the ukelele, guitar, accordion or rhythm instruments, and I have very fond memories of performing with my family from very young years--for church, schools, soldiers, the wounded, etc.

I could go on and on and on about how music has blessed my life, but I'm admittedly quite tired tonight and I'm going to get ready for bed now. You can bet that as soon as I wake in the morning there will be a song on my mind, most likely one of the pieces one of the Spring Creek High School or Middle School choirs are rehearsing daily to be able to perform at their Christmas concert. What a way to start the day!

2 comments:

me said...

This is what I think of when I think of your family- music. I remember singing. I remember searching a music store in Chicago.

I remember being jealous when it comes to music I think I am opposite of musically talented.

Sandi said...

I have always found peace and happiness in music. I guess that is what has always driven my desires to be more talented in this area. From the time I was a child I wished I could be a wonderful singer. I spent many days singing over the fence to my neighbor's grandsons, but even with all of that practice I still never aquired the ability to sing very well. I am merely a shower or in the car singer. Despite my inability to learn to sing I was able to learn to play the clarinet and tenor sax. I participated in concert band, marching band, and pep band for over ten years and enjoyed every minute of the experience. However, over the years my biggest desire musically has been to learn to play the piano well. I am very fortunate to have been blessed with a friend who is a brilliant pianist who is willing to share her talents with me. I hope that as I pursue this endeavor that I will become a pianist and not merely a piano player.