Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Still gullible after all these years....

I was sitting comfortably crocheting Morgan's afghan last night while enjoying an episode of "Law and Order." Tom was on the computer doing some work. The room phone rang; he answered it and what I heard was interesting: "both mattresses? Now? Outside the door? Okay." He left the receiver sitting on the desk, apparently having been instructed to do so until he had done what he had been asked to do. Then he told me that the man in the office said both of our mattresses had tested positive for bed bugs and we needed to strip them of their bedding and put them outside the door. They were going to be replaced with new mattresses. I commented that this made our hotel stay more of an adventure, and I helped him strip the beds. As we took the first mattress out the door I said we should see if anyone was out there with a video camera. Tom said that things just didn't seem right. I told him that before he did anything else he should go down to the office to make certain we were really supposed to be doing this. First he went back to the phone and told the waiting man that he had the first mattress out the door. The man asked him to take it down the stairs himself because the maintenance man had hurt his back. I again told Tom to go downstairs and confirm this before he did another thing. He came back up and said, "Someone must be having a good laugh right now." Yep, it was a prank. A pretty funny one, don't you think? We put the beds back together again and I sat there crocheting again, watching "Law and Order" and "The Closer" and wondering if when I left the hotel room in the morning there would be some young man watching me and grinning. "That lady and her husband are sure gullible!" I've got to be more on my toes!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Haha, that's awesome. I wish I had thought of that ;)

Elizabeth Lemon said...

Who would do that!?!? How funny, and I'm glad it happened to you, who can laugh about it and not be angry. :)

Amy said...

That is funny, but who knew they were calling the two most gullible guests?? Who could have known? Are you sure Michael & Laura left town?

Edna said...

When I told Michael about it he told me it must have been Brandon. But I still think it was someone who was watching out his window while he was listening on the phone to everything we were saying while struggling to get that mattress out the door.

You can quiz Michael, though, to see if you think he might have decided to have a little fun before he went to bed that night. After all, he did know what room we were in...

Allie said...

That is so so so funny! You guys are good sports!

Teresa, mom, Deitz, Aunt Dee Dee said...

Oh Edna, I am chuckling right now. Thank you so much for sharing and putting a smile on my face. Not at your expense though. Hope all is going well in Elko. We miss you, have a great day.

Katy said...

I love it! I'm going to really have to think up something good for April Fool's to top that. (not really. For the record, I hate April Fools' Day)