Friday, March 6, 2009

CinderAmy

While we were at Lisa's yesterday she was talking about her kids' attitudes. I reflected on my years as a young mother and couldn't remember an attitude problem with my kids, although I'm certain they existed because kids do have attitudes. I think it is important for moms to remember the words from the scriptures "and it came to pass." It doesn't say "and it came to stay." These problems go away and then you learn how to deal with new problems. Don't despair because it seems that all you do is manage whining, messy, cranky, disobedient little souls so often. Hold on to the special moments when they say something that gets your heart. You'll have a lot of those. They are the tender mercies that help to keep you sane and remind you that these spirits do have a divine nature.

Now, having said that, I move on to talk about Amy. I told Lisa yesterday that the only "attitude" I could think of regarding my young children was Amy's. When I asked her to do something she would protest or complain nearly every time. It was frustrating to me but I was set on conquering that by focusing on the positive. One day I asked her to take the laundry basket outside and take the towels off the clothesline. She straightaway did it. No complaints at all. I was so pleased and commented on it when she had completed the task. Her response has always stayed with me: "I just pretended I was Cinderella." Of course, that meant that I was the wicked stepmother.

But now it doesn't matter to me what it was that drove Amy to do the things I asked her to do. Look at where she is now. She loves to clean, and I love to visit her home because it is so comfortably clean ALL the time! She is going to be my model in my new home. I have let go of so much stuff and I hope that I can keep my home clutter-free and clean. But she may have to come and visit occasionally and let me play the role of wicked stepmother again. CinderAmy can make my home spotless for me.

Oh, by the way, have you ever read the book called "CinderEdna?"

4 comments:

Amy said...

I still feel like Cinderella. And I wish I knew who the wicked stepmother was, so I could tell my prince charming to throw her in the dungeon!

Edna said...

Ask Michael who the stepmother is. I'd like to hear his response.

me said...

Thanks for that post! I loved the "it came to PASS" part! I was lucky enough to marry a guy who has taught me to focus on the positive the kids do and pretty much ignore the rest (unless they are breaking something or hurting themselves). I am amazed at how well it works and how much happier I can be as a mom. When they have their moments that I am ignoring (while frustrated inside but trying not to show it) I will remember the "it came to "PASS!"

Edna said...

Yes, those could be my most favorite phrase in the scriptures now. Although, I have so many other favorites, too. "Be still and know that I am God." "Pray always that ye may come off conqueror." Etc. Etc. Etc.

But right now while we're waiting to get into our house and thinking of the trial we're experiencing, I'm trying to find the positive in it all and will wake up tomorrow morning remembering that this, too, has come to pass, not to stay.