Thursday, July 23, 2009

Peace and Quiet


Thinking this would be a quiet evening, I thought it a good time to shed my clothes and just wear a bathrobe while I washed all the laundry. I'm kind of funny about getting the laundry done and having dirty clothes in the hamper. So the load of whites was swishing around in the washer and I was standing at the sink washing dishes and Tom was outside working in the garden when the doorbell rang. I was expecting a call from Sandi, my friend, but not anyone at the door. I went in the spare bathroom and peaked out the window to see who it was. Relief! It was Sandi, so I felt it safe to answer the door. I invited her in to visit so she could tell me all about the meeting she had just attended. When she was on her way out the door another vehicle pulled into the driveway. It was the scouts, and I suddenly remembered they were doing the Friends of Scouting Drive tonight. I hollered at Sandi to yell at Tom for me and tell him to come in the house! Then I ran to my room, got the checkbook and wrote an amount for them. Not hearing Tom, and only hearing the doorbell, I hurried to get dressed, and then luckily Tom came in and took the check to the door. I went back to the dishes again and heard Tom's phone ringing, so I rushed to answer it since he was outside again. Finally I finished the dishes, put the wet laundry in the dryer, and in a few minutes I can go to bed. All my kids should be in bed or nearly there by now and all my neighbors should be unwinding so I think it's safe. So much for a quiet evening!


(If I had been quick-witted Rebecca, when I saw it was Sandi at the door I would have flung it open and greeted her with, "Welcome to my brothel!" Maybe I would have asked her if she was bringing her application for employment. And only people in Nevada would understand...)

2 comments:

Sandi said...

I apologize for interupting your quiet evening, Edna. To Edna's family we really haven't corrupted your mother. Her reference to a brothel is merely a joke that we have in our walk and talk group, because we live in Nevada. We walk each morning at 6:00 am and as we do so we laugh, cry, and spiritually uplift one another. We are so glad to have your mother(sister, aunt) as a member of our walk group. Edna adds so much to our lives as she shares many spiritual experiences. She is truly an amazing Daughter of God. You are so lucky to have her in your lives. She has told us much about each of her children, grandchildren, and siblings. From what I have heard and those of you I have met; it must be amazing to be apart of the Washburn Family. Over time I look forward to meeting each of you. Thank you for sharing Edna with us!

Edna said...

And I didn't pay Sandi a penny to say all those nice things about my family and me!

Sandi, I didn't mind the interruption. Not one bit. I had been anxiously awaiting the discussion that I knew would follow your earlier meeting, and having it in person with you instead of over the phone was much better! Drop in anytime--whether I'm fully clothed or not!