Sunday, July 19, 2009

Who's Got Talent?

In any organization, including The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, where accompanists are needed, well, you can expect that if you are one of those with the ability, like it or not, you will find yourself being asked again and again to be a pianist for this or that. Personally, I like sharing my talent. After all, God gave it to me. How ungrateful would it make me to turn down a call to serve using my God-given abilities? So today, once again, I sat across from a member of the bishopric and without hesitation accepted the call to serve as pianist in the Primary organization.

Would you think me terrible if I admitted out loud that I felt like crying from that moment on? I spent over one-hundred minutes sitting on a piano bench, with no more than fifteen of those playing the piano. I was continually berating myself as I looked over the top of the piano at the faces of those lovely, innocent children who were there to learn the gospel of Jesus Christ. Somebody has to be there to play the piano whenever a song is sung! It's my turn again! I'm doing it for the Lord! Stop feeling sorry for yourself, Edna! It's a blessing to have the free time now to do other things instead of spending hours preparing lessons or planning and carrying out activities. Other people would think this is one of the greatest callings in the church!

I know that I'll settle into the calling and I'll find a way to keep myself busy and during Sharing Time and other time of just sitting I can write in my journal and read my scriptures (which is what I did today). I'll realize blessings just for being willing to serve, and although I do not need to practice or study to be able to be prepared for this calling, I will grow just from being faithful to what the Lord has asked me to do. And I'll keep myself from thinking about the months and years ahead of me and stop singing the words of the hymn ("More Holiness Give Me" that say "more used would I be." This is exactly how the Lord would use me in His Church right now. I should be happy that I am worthy of a place in His Kingdom.

Now I'm going to make a list of all the things I want to begin to do this week to fill all the time another calling might have asked of me. (Maybe you'll see more blog posts!)

Sigh....I thought I might make myself feel better but so far it's not working....

No comments: