Thursday, December 25, 2008

Merry Christmas from Missouri!

Tom and I are fortunate to be able to spend Christmas with David, Amy, Michael and Benjamin this year. It has been wonderful to be in their home and share this special time with them, to see the traditions they are carrying on from generation to generation. We had a lovely dinner Christmas eve, with ham and all the trimmings. Michael got to sleep just minutes before Santa arrived with his presents. Now some of you are accustomed to being awakened at three o'clock a.m. on Christmas morning by children who are so anxious to see what Santa brought that the moment the clatter of the reindeer is disappeared from the roof the kids are shaking you--"Is it time yet? Can we go see what he brought?" We were lucky to be able to sleep late.

Tom and I woke after eight o'clock this morning and Tom peeked to see if Michael was stirring. He was lying on his bed with his eyes open. I think he might not have remembered what day it was. Eventually we all made it downstairs and Michael was excited to see the police car, ambulance, stuffed beagle, and stocking full of toys that Santa left for him. He was equally excited to see what Santa gave Benjamin. We had fun watching him. Then we had our typical unhealthy breakfast of pumpkin roll (and apple pie)--except David, that is. He had cereal, refusing to join us in our attack against our bodies.

I checked my blogs while Tom was watching the video David and Amy gave him (Bill Cosby Himself). David and Amy took turns talking to his mother. I got teary-eyed thinking about all my other family that I don't get to see this year. It is unlikely that I will ever get to have all my family together in one place for the holidays. But I want you all to know that no matter where I am you are all in my heart at the same time. And so, in honor of all of you, here's a song for this Christmas--with a little twist in the words:

Merry Christmas, Darlings, we're apart, that's true.
But I can dream, and in my dreams, I'm Christmasing with you.
Holidays are joyful, there's always something new,
But every day's a holiday when I'm near to you.
The lights on your tree I wish I could see, I wish it every day.
Logs on the fire fill me with desire to see you and to say
That I wish you merry Christmas, Happy New Year, too,
I've just one wish on this Christmas Day, I wish I were with you,
I wish I were with you.

3 comments:

Amy said...

Mom's been crying a lot over having to spend Christmas at our house. Sorry, Mom:0)

What are you talking about, sleeping late? I was up at 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8:00. Benjamin made sure of that!

Edna said...

Do you realize this is the first Christmas we've spent with you in about eight years? This has been wonderful for me, Amy! Thanks for letting us invite ourselves to spend the holidays with you. Aren't you looking forward to the weekend road trip now? Twenty-four hours (at least) on the road with your boys? Fun, fun, fun!! But at least we get to see Cindy and Eric!

Abi said...

I love reading your blog! It sounds like you are having so much fun...well, minus the tears. I got your letter. Thanks so much! I look forward to reading more from you as I'm away. I don't know when you'll be home, but I'm asking some of my closest friends to write me a letter, or short note, that my mom can put in my suitcase and I can read one a day while I'm in the MTC. I would love to find one from you if you can! Have a super fun vaca! Love Ya!