Thursday, December 11, 2008

I would if I could

Well, I got a call yesterday saying I had been deferred as a bone marrow donor--not permanently, just for a couple of months. It's a result of the diverticulitis that attacked me in August. Now, it's not something I can pass on to anyone else. It's a condition caused by aging--wear and tear on the intestines. When they get worn out they develop pockets which can become plugged and then infected. The pockets are called diverticula, having them is called diverticulosis, and when they get infected it's called diverticulitis. But just having been diagnosed with it so recently they want to wait and if I'm a possible match for someone in the future they can see if I've been doing alright in spite of the diagnosis.

I told a friend this morning and she reminded me that the important thing was that I was willing. It's true; I had thought it would be a nice Christmas present to someone to share my bone marrow with them so they could live. But I will not be able to do that so I am trying to curb the disappointment by thinking about how I can still give my heart to the Lord.

I have plenty of other opportunities to give, too, and that should keep me busy enough. In fact, I've got to get to one of those opportunities right now: I need to get ready for tomorrow's den meeting! It's the last one of the year for those four ten-year-old boys. I want it to be memorable.

2 comments:

Amy said...

Sorry, Mom. I promise if I ever need a body part I'll call you first!

Hope you have fun with the cub scouts.

LOVE the new background, by the way. Pure genius.

Edna said...

Yes, I got a creative bug and decided to see how talented I really am. I'm glad you like it!

Some of my body parts you wouldn't want--they're old and worn out!