Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Top Stories of 2009--March to June

March marked the beginning of a new phase of life. We moved from Grantsville, Utah, to Spring Creek, Nevada. Michael and Laura helped us move. We became members of the Spring Creek Fourth Ward, Elko East Stake. My life revolves around my church membership and my family, so my ward is very critical to me. I straightaway began to make acquaintances and felt drawn to particular members who eventually became very good friends. I was called to be a counselor in the YW presidency. Sandi Moon was the president and this jump-started our friendship which has become very, very important to me.

Our family started coming to visit us in April. Lisa and her kids, Michael, Laura and their kids and my father. At the end of the month my mother-in-law and sister-in-law came to spend some time with us, too. Having family visit our home helped me to feel more at home. Once they were gone I could still feel their presence which helped close the distance from Spring Creek to Utah where all of them live.

I started accompanying the choirs at Spring Creek High School and Middle School, and by the end of April I had several piano students. My talent has helped me find a place in each of the communities where I have lived. I love the choir director here; she is relatively new to choral directing but she is doing a wonderful job and I enjoy very much working with her. I found out after a couple of weeks of accompanying that this is a paid position. I eventually got a paycheck for the six weeks I helped the choirs at the end of this school year.

April was a busy month with several important events, but none topped being able to see Cindy and Eric graduate from Brigham Young University. We booked hotel rooms for all the family and had a most enjoyable graduation party to celebrate. A few days later Cindy confided in me the news that would make me happiest of all: she was pregnant!

In May we celebrated the eightieth birthday of the most wonderful man in the world: my Dad! With the help of my sisters and daughters we were able to put together a very appropriate and successful event--very fitting for a man who has touched so many lives.

Cindy came to live with us in May while Eric was working in California. How special it was to have her here. She helped Tom with his business and added sunshine and life to our very quiet house. Later in the month Eric finished his job and joined us, too, and he was a great asset to our family. They both helped accomplish a larger number of projects around the house and for Tom's business.

June's main events were Young Women Camp--where it rained most of the time--and getting to see Jessica. She stopped in Salt Lake City on her way home to New York from California and she took photos of all my Utah kids and grandkids. It was so fun to see her at work, and what a great excuse to be able too see so much of my family, too. At the beginning of the month Tom, Eric, Cindy and I went to the Bountiful Temple to do a session and then got together for dinner with our kids and grandkids afterward. (How can we go all the way to Utah without seeing our family?)

One more June event: Andrea and Chris McCarrick came into our lives. They are a young couple living down the road, far from their families in South Dakota and Alaska, and we are delighted to have them as neighbors!

This takes me halfway through the year. I'll continue the the next few months in another installment.

No comments: