Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Top Stories of 2009-July to October

July's stories include going to the Twin Falls Temple with my friend, Sandi; my nephew's return from his mission (James Oswald)--another opportunity to spend time with my family!; I started an Oldies but Goodies group in our neighborhood and had the first activity, which was a lot of fun; I was released from the YW presidency (the entire presidency was released) and then called to play the piano in Primary.

What I will remember most was that I thought I was losing my dad. His health was of great concern to our family and going by the information I was given I didn't think he was going to last much longer. However, he had a change in doctors and the new doctor found a problem that had been missed and eventually, under this doctor's care, Dad began to regain his strength. Dad never lost his optimism or fun with through the ordeal. He was always kind to the hospital and nursing home staff and was so pleased to receive visitors. I hope I can always be like my father and treat everyone around me with respect and kindness, no matter how badly I may feel.

The August event most worth mentioning, and one of the top stories of the entire year, was Emily Ruth Washburn's baptism. Our oldest granddaughter turned eight years old and we flew to New York to celebrate and to participate in her baptism services. I wrote a song for Emily to commemorate the event. I also wrote a song for Isabella, her younger sister. I enjoy writing poetry and I like putting it to music. So I have written a few songs for some of my grandchildren, with the goal of writing one for each of them as the inspiration hits. I also was called to be secretary of the Stake Activities Committee. Once again I would be working with Sandi Moon who was the chairman of the committee.

In September we were blessed to get grandchild number thirteen, Jack Thomas Washburn, born to Alan and Jessica. New York was much too far away that day! It would be months before I finally had a chance to meet the sweet little guy. I went to the Bountiful Temple on my own one day. It was so nice to spend time in a temple again. I don't get to go as often as I was able to when we lived in Utah.

We had some friends from Grantsville come and spend the weekend with us at the end of the month. Janice and Linda are so terrific! They went to the Hot Air Balloon Festival with us, and using Linda's word to describe it, it was "magical!" Next year I MUST have some grandkids in Spring Creek to share that magical event with us. I must mention that September was the month I was having terrible pain in my right foot, so bad that it was hard to keep up with my daily walks and I had to get off my feet often. This also started a new phase in my life.

I enjoyed the beginning of October by being with Lisa and her family when they welcomed the fourth member of their family: Logan Scott Nelson was born on the seventh. It was so much fun to take the kids to the hospital to see their new little brother. And I just don't stop getting excited about getting new grandchildren! Andrea and Chris had their baby, Aden, too, October ninth. It will be nice to have a little one so close since all my own are so far away.

Mid-month some more friends came to visit: Chris and Karen Dumouchel. We love the Dumouchels so much! They have been good friends for some time now and are among the few friends who put much effort into keeping the friendship alive. One week of the month I spent in bed. I had influenza--maybe even Swine Flu. It knocked me out for several days. I cancelled everything and just stayed in bed. Later I would get the Swine Flu vaccination, just in case what I had was a different strain.

Now I'm going to complete the year with my last installment.

1 comment:

Katy said...

I notice you mentioned visits from friends, but you failed to mention a visit from us in July that is actually the one and only special, unforgettable, most memorable visit of ours and the only time where we've been there at the same time you and Dad were home...

I'm sorry, I couldn't resist giving you grief on that one.