Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Constant Changes

I just discovered this draft that I thought I had posted a long time ago.  Almost four years ago, to be correct.  I remember well how it felt to have Michael and Laura live near us and to know I could get a grandkid fix any time I needed one.  All these feelings haven't changed although the circumstances of their lives and our lives have changed drastically:





Life as we knew it a few weeks ago is no more. But it's better. Now I have two little boys to help me burn calories and to help me remember what is really important.

Michael and Laura moved here three weeks ago. They are staying in a fifth-wheeler behind our house until they can find a home of their own. They are sharing parts of our house with us--the laundry room, the kitchen--we eat at least one meal together each day--and sometimes the boys are taking their naps in the guest bedroom. It is a delight to be lying in bed and hear the pitter-patter of little feet coming close and then suddenly seeing the doors flung open by a little one calling out, "Hi, Grandma!"



So what if I can't crochet as often, or work on the computer when they're around (they want to play "aliens!"), or keep the floor clean for a few days in a row. But the trade is that I get hugs every day, and they give me a good workout when we chase each other around the house or when I lift them with my feet and legs (good ab workout!) and toss them onto my bed. They are a delight, and Michael and Laura have been so helpful, sharing the cooking and clean-up, cleaning bathrooms, etc. It's a new life for me but I am happy. Being a grandma is my greatest joy in life.

No comments: